From The Glue Works
The newsletter of the Margery Allingham Society
No.32 - July 2013
- Short Story Competition
- Over the next year, we will be collaborating with the Crime Writers Association (CWA) by sponsoring a short story competition in Margery’s name. As those of you who attended the 2013 AGM may remember, there was an animated discussion about how we might do more to promote Margery’s name and work. The Society currently has funds of about £10,000, of which the far greater part is from a legacy given to the Society by Joyce Allingham, Margery’s sister, with this aim in mind. Over the years the money has been used to support activities and commemorative events.
- In this, the Society’s 25th anniversary, the AGM was supportive of the idea that we should reach out and do something more to promote the literary works and reputation of Margery Allingham, our aim as stated in the constitution. As you will know, Barry has just completed the definitive study of all of Margery’s short stories and so, when we found out that the CWA was looking for a sponsor for a new short story competition this seemed to be an ideal fit with our activities.
- After discussions with the CWA and at a meeting held before the Anniversary Lunch, the committee has agreed to a proposal that we should fund the competition for two years with a prize of £1000 each year. This money will come out of Joyce’s legacy and not out of subscription funds. If the competition is successful, we will have the option to continue with the sponsorship.
- We do hope that you will support this project which will, we hope be an event that will introduce Margery and her work to a larger audience
- Please do contact us if you have any queries.
Chairman Hon. Secretary Treasurer Membership Secretary Barry Pike Jo Hesslewood Mary Anderson Lesley Simpson 42 Scarborough Road 11 Eights Marina 61 Morris Crescent Flat 23 Corfton Lodge Leytonstone Mariner's Way Motherwell Corfton Road London Cambridge ML1 5NH London E11 4AL CB4 1ZA W5 2HU 020 8556 5243 01223 322993 07814 255 874 07913 664 605 honsec (at) margeryallingham.org.uk treasurer (at) margeryallingham.org.uk memsec (at) margeryallingham.org.uk
Greetings from all at the Glueworks.
From The Glue Works: Previous Issues
Current Issue No.34 - November 2013 No.33 - September 2013 No.32 - July 2013 No.31 - November 2012 No.30 - June 2012 No.29 - November 2011 No.28 - August 2011 No.27 - June 2011 No.26 - February 2011 No.25 - October 2010 No.24 - February 2010 No.23 - November 2009 No.22 - August 2009 No.21 - June 2009 No.20 - April 2009 No.19 - Autumn 2008 No.18 - August 2008 No.17 - January 2008 No.16 - November 2007 No.15 - July 2007 No.14 - January 2007 No.13 - Summer 2006 No.12 - February 2006 No.11 - July 2005 No.10 - March 2005 No.9 - Nov/Dec 2004 No.8 - July 2004 No.7 - February 2004 No.6 - August 2003
Website maintained by Lesley Simpson
All text and photos copyright © The Margery Allingham Society unless otherwise stated.