From The Glue Works
The newsletter of the Margery Allingham Society
No.31 - November 2012
- Pre-Christmas Lunch on 24th November 2012
- We are organising a lunch for any members who may be in the London area on Saturday 24th November. It will just be a get together and chat – perhaps a break from Christmas shopping or before a matinee or film. A table is booked for 1pm at The Albany, 240 Great Portland Street W1W 5QU (http://www.thealbanyw1w.co.uk/). Anyone who is interested please contact Jo or Lesley by 16th November so that we can let the Albany know how many to expect.
- Fifty Years in the Fiction Factory
- Julia Jones’s long-awaited biography of Herbert Allingham was published by Golden Duck (UK) Ltd. on 17th September. The full title is Fifty Years in the Fiction Factory: The Working Life of Herbert Allingham ISBN: 978-1-899262-07-6. It is available from any bookshop. The RRP for the paperback is 17.99 and the e-book is £7.99. More details and reviews in the Autumn Bottle Street Gazette.
- Future Programme
- 13th March 2012: Essex Book Fair -- Julia Jones will be talking about Herbert Allingham and Fifty Years in the Fiction Factory.
- 18 May 2012: AGM and Birthday Lunch. Imogen Robertson will be our speaker. She is the author of the excellent Crowther and Westerman detective series set in the late 18th century.
- The Society will be 25 years old next year so the July event will be lunch followed by a talk by Barry Pike on the Maxwell March books. Date and location to be confirmed.
- The Autumn event will be a walk around some of the locations for The Tiger in the Smoke. This will be an extended version of the walk given for the American School in London last month.
- Talk on Herbert Allingham
- Julia Jones will be giving a talk on her new biography of Herbert Allingham for the Suffolk Book League at 7:30pm on Wednesday 14 November 2012 at 7:30pm at Ipswich Institute Reading Room and Library, Tavern Street, Ipswich, Suffolk IP1 3AA. Entry for non SBL members is £7.50. Full details can be found at www.sbl.org.uk.
- New Facebook Page
- Julia has also created a Facebook page for the Allingham family and all their works: http://www.facebook.com/AllinghamFamilyFictions and would welcome visitors and comments related to Margery and her family.
- Joan Fairfax Whiteside
- Joan Fairfax Whiteside was an illustrator for The Evening News and The Daily Mail in the 1920s and ‘30s and illustrated a couple of Margery Allingham’s short stories for those publications. Darnley Fine Art, http://www.darnleyfineart.com, are holding an exhibition of her work from 26th November to 2nd December 2012 at 18 Milner Street, London SW3 2PU. Opening times are Monday - Friday 10.00 am - 5.30pm, Saturday by appointment. Telephone 020 8288 9094 or email email@example.com for more details.
Chairman Hon. Secretary Membership Secretary Barry Pike Jo Hesslewood Lesley Simpson 42 Scarborough Road 11 Eights Marina Flat 23 Corfton Lodge Leytonstone Mariner's Way Corfton Road London Cambridge London E11 4AL CB4 1ZA W5 2HU 020 8556 5243 01223 322993 07913 664 605 honsec (at) margeryallingham.org.uk memsec (at) margeryallingham.org.uk
Greetings from all at the Glueworks.
From The Glue Works: Previous Issues
Current Issue No.34 - November 2013 No.33 - September 2013 No.32 - July 2013 No.31 - November 2012 No.30 - June 2012 No.29 - November 2011 No.28 - August 2011 No.27 - June 2011 No.26 - February 2011 No.25 - October 2010 No.24 - February 2010 No.23 - November 2009 No.22 - August 2009 No.21 - June 2009 No.20 - April 2009 No.19 - Autumn 2008 No.18 - August 2008 No.17 - January 2008 No.16 - November 2007 No.15 - July 2007 No.14 - January 2007 No.13 - Summer 2006 No.12 - February 2006 No.11 - July 2005 No.10 - March 2005 No.9 - Nov/Dec 2004 No.8 - July 2004 No.7 - February 2004 No.6 - August 2003
Website maintained by Lesley Simpson
All text and photos copyright © The Margery Allingham Society unless otherwise stated.