From The Glue Works
The newsletter of the Margery Allingham Society
No.28 - August 2011
- Joyce Allingham's Films Saturday 10th September 2011
- Our Patron, Joyce Allingham, died ten years ago and it seems appropriate to view the films she made about Essex. David Cleveland, founder and former director of the East Anglian Film Archive, will be discussing her films and showing a selection of them including one featuring her sister Margery. Full details on the enclosed booking form which should be returned to Jo Hesslewood by 1st September.
- On 30 July 2011 20 members of the Society were enthralled by Professor Shelley Channon's talk, "Campion's Amnesia: A neuropsychological analysis". In her thought-provoking and entertaining presentation, she made reference to the very moving story of Clive Wearing, who developed one of the most serious recorded cases of amnesia - the ITV documentary about him was called 'The Man with the Seven Second Memory'. Members might be interested to know that Clive's wife, Deborah, has written about their experiences in the book Forever Today, (subtitled ‘A Memoir of Love and Amnesia’). This was published by Corgi in 2005, ISBN 978 0 552 77169 6.
- Christmas Dinner
- Is anyone interested in meeting for dinner towards the end of the year? Not a formal event, just the chance to get together and have a chat with friends. If so, let Jo know.
- 27th September 2011. Writing in Different Periods: WW2 and the present day
- A panel discussion run by Mystery Women. The panel will be Natasha Cooper, Gordon Ferris, Isabelle Grey, John Lawton and Laura Wilson (participating moderator). Everyone is welcome to attend. Further details will shortly be posted on their website, www.mysterywomen.co.uk.
Chairman Hon. Secretary Membership Secretary Barry Pike Jo Hesslewood Lesley Simpson 42 Scarborough Road 28 Parkfield Avenue Flat 23 Corfton Lodge Leytonstone Amersham Corfton Road London Bucks London E11 4AL HP6 6BE W5 2HU 020 8556 5243 01494 721012 07913 664 605 honsec (at) margeryallingham.org.uk memsec (at) margeryallingham.org.uk
Greetings from all at the Glueworks.
From The Glue Works: Previous Issues
Current Issue No.34 - November 2013 No.33 - September 2013 No.32 - July 2013 No.31 - November 2012 No.30 - June 2012 No.29 - November 2011 No.28 - August 2011 No.27 - June 2011 No.26 - February 2011 No.25 - October 2010 No.24 - February 2010 No.23 - November 2009 No.22 - August 2009 No.21 - June 2009 No.20 - April 2009 No.19 - Autumn 2008 No.18 - August 2008 No.17 - January 2008 No.16 - November 2007 No.15 - July 2007 No.14 - January 2007 No.13 - Summer 2006 No.12 - February 2006 No.11 - July 2005 No.10 - March 2005 No.9 - Nov/Dec 2004 No.8 - July 2004 No.7 - February 2004 No.6 - August 2003
Website maintained by Lesley Simpson
All text and photos copyright © The Margery Allingham Society unless otherwise stated.