From The Glue Works
The newsletter of the Margery Allingham Society
No.27 - June 2011
- Traitor's Purse - Saturday 30th July 2011
- To mark the 70th anniversary of the publication of Traitorís Purse, the Society has invited Professor Shelley Channon of University College London to give a talk on aspects of amnesia Ė members will remember that Albert struggles with memory loss for much of the story. Professor Channonís interests cover the neuropsychology of social cognition including mentalising, social judgment, problem-solving and executive dysfunction in relation to acquired and developmental neurological and neuropsychiatric disorders. She will be linking her talk to the book. We will be meeting for lunch before the talk.
- A booking form is enclosed for those members who have already expressed an interest in this event. Anyone else who is interested should contact Jo Hesslewood (contact details at end) as soon as possible and by Monday 4 July at the latest.
- Look to the Lady - The Life and Crime Fiction of Margery Allingham
- An illustrated talk about the Essex author Margery Allingham and her famous detective character 'Albert Campion', by Roger Johnson will be given at The Essex Police Museum, Headquarters, Springfield, Chelmsford, Essex, CM2 6D on Thursday, July 7, 7:00pm - 9:00pm. £3 Entry (Tea and coffee provided). All profits go to the Museum which is a registered charity. Spaces Limited. To book please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01245 457 150.
- Committee Changes
- There have been several changes to the committee in the last year. Firstly we welcomed Diane Cullen on to the committee in September and Mary Anderson took over as Treasurer at the AGM. January saw the sad loss of Richard Cheffins and Paula Cooze and John Sweetman stood down at the AGM after several years as committee members.
- The current committee is Barry Pike (Chairman); Jo Hesslewood (Hon. Secretary); Mary Anderson (Treasurer); Lesley Simpson (Membership Secretary and Webmistress); Catherine Cooke; Diane Cullen and Marianne van Hoeven (sleeping member.)
- We really do need more people on the committee, to share the load. If you might be interested, speak to Diane Cullen who would be happy to tell you about her experiences as a committee member. (In-depth knowledge of Margery's books is NOT necessary!)
- The Bottle Street Gazette
- Anyone who would like to contribute an article (long or short), review, commentary or anything else that would interest our members, please get in touch with Barry Pike. (Contact details at end.)
- The Salt-Stained Book by Julia Jones
- Margery's biographer, Julia Jones, has branched out into fiction with The Salt-Stained Book. This story of twelve-year-old Donny reflects two of Julia's other passions: sailing and Arthur Ransome. After Gran dies and his mother goes into hospital, Donny is taken into care. New friends and an unexpected talent for sailing help him through his battle with the authorities who are blocking his efforts to meet his mysterious great-aunt. Illustrated by Claudia Myatt. Published by Golden Duck (UK) Ltd. (16 June 2011). ISBN 978-1899262045. Available from your local bookseller or on-line.
Chairman Hon. Secretary Membership Secretary Barry Pike Jo Hesslewood Lesley Simpson 42 Scarborough Road 28 Parkfield Avenue Flat 23 Corfton Lodge Leytonstone Amersham Corfton Road London Bucks London E11 4AL HP6 6BE W5 2HU 020 8556 5243 01494 721012 07913 664 605 honsec (at) margeryallingham.org.uk memsec (at) margeryallingham.org.uk
Greetings from all at the Glueworks.
From The Glue Works: Previous Issues
Current Issue No.34 - November 2013 No.33 - September 2013 No.32 - July 2013 No.31 - November 2012 No.30 - June 2012 No.29 - November 2011 No.28 - August 2011 No.27 - June 2011 No.26 - February 2011 No.25 - October 2010 No.24 - February 2010 No.23 - November 2009 No.22 - August 2009 No.21 - June 2009 No.20 - April 2009 No.19 - Autumn 2008 No.18 - August 2008 No.17 - January 2008 No.16 - November 2007 No.15 - July 2007 No.14 - January 2007 No.13 - Summer 2006 No.12 - February 2006 No.11 - July 2005 No.10 - March 2005 No.9 - Nov/Dec 2004 No.8 - July 2004 No.7 - February 2004 No.6 - August 2003
Website maintained by Lesley Simpson
All text and photos copyright © The Margery Allingham Society unless otherwise stated.