From The Glue Works
The newsletter of the Margery Allingham Society
No.21 - June 2009
- Mr. Lugg
- As a sequel to the celebration of Mr. Lugg in March, a booklet of 36 pages has been published, containing the text presented on that occasion, augmented by extracts from books not included in the original programme. The cost of the booklet is £5 and it may be obtained from Lesley Simpson.
- Future Programme
- We had a most enjoyable lunch at the University Women’s Club on 23 May, to celebrate the 105th birthday of Margery Allingham, the 109th of Albert Campion and, incidentally, the 150th of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Our guest, Janet Laurence, contributed greatly to the success of the occasion.
- The next event will be a day trip to Kersey in Suffolk, the model for Sanctuary in Look to the Lady, to take place on Saturday 25th July. In order for us to complete the arrangements for the day, please complete and return the booking form that follows. Kersey is accessible only by private transport. Once we have heard from you we will put car drivers in touch with potential passengers and hope to get us all there efficiently.
- The autumn event will take place at the University of Westminster, formerly the Regent Street Polytechnic, where Margery Allingham and Pip Carter were students in the early 1920s. The University would prefer us to move the proposed date of a Saturday in September to Saturday 24 October. It is intended to present a programme of material written by Margery Allingham during her student years, including a scene from her verse play Dido and Aeneas.
- Albert Campion’s Biography
- There has been an excellent response for the call for volunteers however there is always room for more people to contribute. It involves reading one (or more!) of the Campion novels or short story collections and noting all references to Campion’s life, background, associates &c. We have set a target date of the 2010 AGM for the research phase. Then the information will be collated for the biographer to work on. Contact Jo Hesslewood for an information pack, and let her know which book(s) you would like to do.
- Visit to Kersey, 25 July
- We shall be visiting the Suffolk village of Kersey, model for Sanctuary in Look to the Lady, on 25 July next. The village is remote and accessible only by car, so we shall be dependent on members who will be able and willing to offer lifts on the day. The nearest railway station seems to be Sudbury to the West of Kersey, but Manningtree, to the South-east, is also a likely pick up point. Sudbury is the northern terminus of the line from Marks Tey (which we have used in the past when visiting Chappel / Wakes Colne). Marks Tey is on the Colchester Line from Liverpool Street. Manningtree is on the Ipswich line, also from Liverpool Street.
- For Sale
- Copies of all back issues of the Bottle Street Gazette are available. Prices range from £2 to £5, depending on the number of pages. Postage is extra – a single issue to the UK is standard second class postage. Contact Lesley Simpson for more details.
- We also have copies of all these items for sale. Sterling cheques should be made
payable to The Margery Allingham Society and sent to Lesley Simpson. All prices
are in UK pounds. If you’d like to pay in other currencies, contact Lesley Simpson
for means to pay.
Price including postage UK Europe Rest of World The Adventures of Margery Allingham by Julia Jones 12.50 14.50 17.50 Campion's Career by Barry Pike 7.50 9.50 13.00 Margery Allingham: 100 Years of a Great Mystery Writer. Hardback 18.00 21.50 27.50 Margery Allingham: 100 Years of a Great Mystery Writer. Paperback 16.00 19.00 24.00 The Albert Memorial 6.50 7.50 9.00 A Bottle Street Miscellany 6.50 7.50 8.00 Magersfontein Lugg: A Celebration 5.00 6.00 6.50
- Glueworks by Email
- If you'd prefer to receive From the Glueworks by email, please let the Membership Secretary know at memsec (at) margeryallingham.org.uk.
Chairman Hon. Secretary Membership Secretary Barry Pike Jo Hesslewood Lesley Simpson 42 Scarborough Road 28 Parkfield Avenue Flat 23 Corfton Lodge Leytonstone Amersham Corfton Road London Bucks London E11 4AL HP6 6BE W5 2HU 020 8556 5243 01494 721012 020 8354 0332 honsec (at) margeryallingham.org.uk memsec (at) margeryallingham.org.uk
- - - 8< - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - >8 - -
- Please return to Jo Hesslewood by Saturday 20th June 2009.
I intend to come to Kersey on 25th July
I would like a lift from (location) _____________________________
I shall be driving and can offer lifts as follows
- Number of places _________________________________________
- Preferred pick-up places ____________________________________
Phone / Email ________________________________________________
Greetings from all at the Glueworks.
From The Glue Works: Previous Issues
Current Issue No.34 - November 2013 No.33 - September 2013 No.32 - July 2013 No.31 - November 2012 No.30 - June 2012 No.29 - November 2011 No.28 - August 2011 No.27 - June 2011 No.26 - February 2011 No.25 - October 2010 No.24 - February 2010 No.23 - November 2009 No.22 - August 2009 No.21 - June 2009 No.20 - April 2009 No.19 - Autumn 2008 No.18 - August 2008 No.17 - January 2008 No.16 - November 2007 No.15 - July 2007 No.14 - January 2007 No.13 - Summer 2006 No.12 - February 2006 No.11 - July 2005 No.10 - March 2005 No.9 - Nov/Dec 2004 No.8 - July 2004 No.7 - February 2004 No.6 - August 2003
Website maintained by Lesley Simpson
All text and photos copyright © The Margery Allingham Society unless otherwise stated.