From The Glue Works
The newsletter of the Margery Allingham Society
No.20 - April 2009
- Appointment of a New Secretary
- Marianne van Hoeven has decided to resign from the post of Secretary to the Margery Allingham Society with effect from the AGM on 23 May next. We thank Marianne for her valuable work over the years, not least in the centenary year. A presentation will be made to her at the AGM on 23rd May.
- At a committee meeting on 31 March, Josephine Hesslewood was appointed as her successor. We are very grateful to Jo for taking on this role and thank her warmly.
- The Adventures of Margery Allingham
- Julia Jones has published a new augmented edition of her biography of Margery Allingham, first published in 1991 as by Julia Thorogood. The retail price is £14.99, but copies are on offer to members of the Margery Allingham Society at £10 + 2.50 postage, within the U.K. Julia is hoping to arrange for American distribution, so that U.S. members might benefit from a similar arrangement. If the book were to be sent to America the postage would be prohibitively high, approximately ½ the retail price. Please get in touch with Lesley Simpson if you would like to order a copy through the Society.
- Albert Campion’s Biography
- Work has started on the necessary research for a full biography of Mr. Campion. Should you wish to join the research team, please get in touch with Josephine Hesslewood who, with Diane Cullen, is organising the project.
- Visit to Kersey, 25 July
- We shall be visiting the Suffolk village of Kersey, model for Sanctuary in Look to the Lady, on 25 July next. The village is remote and accessible only by car, so we shall be dependent on members who will be able and willing to offer lifts on the day. The nearest railway station seems to be Sudbury to the West of Kersey, but Manningtree, to the South-east, is also a likely pick up point. Sudbury is the northern terminus of the line from Marks Tey (which we have used in the past when visiting Chappel / Wakes Colne). Marks Tey is on the Colchester Line from Liverpool Street. Manningtree is on the Ipswich line, also from Liverpool Street.
- Advice as to how we should organise ourselves would be appreciated. If you know the area, & the trains, do please advise. Please get in touch with Barry, Jo or Lesley, a.s.a.p please, if you will be able to offer lifts on 25 July
- AGM and Birthday Lunch 23 May
- The next event in the calendar is the lunch to celebrate Margery Allingham’s 105th birthday and Albert Campion’s 109th. This will take place at the University Women’s Club on Saturday 23rd May, three days after the birthday. As usual, it will be preceded by the Society’s AGM.
- Our guest on this occasion will be Janet Laurence, esteemed for her two mystery series, the first with Darina Lisle as detective, set in the world of gourmet food and wine, and a late series in which the great Venetian painter Canaletto, is the investigator. (How’s that for a bold imaginative concept?)
- We shall convene upstairs in the library for the AGM at 11:15. Tea and coffee will be served from 10:45. Lunch will be served in the Dining Room on the ground floor at 1:00. A cash bar will be in operation from 12:30. The cost of the three-course meal will be £35. If you wish to attend, please return the attached booking form.
- Glueworks by Email
- If you'd prefer to receive From the Glueworks by email, please let the Membership Secretary know at memsec (at) margeryallingham.org.uk.
Barry Pike Jo Hesslewood Lesley Simpson 42 Scarborough Road 28 Parkfield Avenue Flat 23 Corfton Lodge Leytonstone Amersham Corfton Road London Bucks London E11 4AL HP6 6BE W5 2HU 020 8556 5243 01494 721012 020 8354 0332 honsec (at) margeryallingham.org.uk memsec (at) margeryallingham.org.uk
- - - >8 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - >8 - -
- Please return to Jo Hesslewood by Saturday 2nd May 2009.
- Delete as applicable
- I wish to attend the lunch on 23rd May and enclose my cheque for £35, made out to the Margery Allingham Society. YES/NO
- I intend to be present at the AGM YES/NO
- I require a vegetarian meal YES/NO
- Name: ___________________________________________________________
- Address _________________________________________________________
- Phone / Email ___________________________________________________
Greetings from all at the Glueworks.
From The Glue Works: Previous Issues
Current Issue No.34 - November 2013 No.33 - September 2013 No.32 - July 2013 No.31 - November 2012 No.30 - June 2012 No.29 - November 2011 No.28 - August 2011 No.27 - June 2011 No.26 - February 2011 No.25 - October 2010 No.24 - February 2010 No.23 - November 2009 No.22 - August 2009 No.21 - June 2009 No.20 - April 2009 No.19 - Autumn 2008 No.18 - August 2008 No.17 - January 2008 No.16 - November 2007 No.15 - July 2007 No.14 - January 2007 No.13 - Summer 2006 No.12 - February 2006 No.11 - July 2005 No.10 - March 2005 No.9 - Nov/Dec 2004 No.8 - July 2004 No.7 - February 2004 No.6 - August 2003
Website maintained by Lesley Simpson
All text and photos copyright © The Margery Allingham Society unless otherwise stated.