From The Glue Works
The newsletter of the Margery Allingham Society
No.18 - August 2008
- RECENT AND FORTHCOMING
- Saturday 19 July: The Fashion in Shrouds
- The lunch and talk to celebrate the 70th birthday of THE FASHION IN SHROUDS were much enjoyed by those who attended. A full report will appear in the next issue of The Bottle Street Gazette.
- Saturday 4 October: Kensal Green Cemetery
- The next event will be a visit to Kensal Green Cemetery in north-west London, to celebrate the 60th birthday of MORE WORK FOR THE UNDERTAKER. It is intended that we shall meet for lunch at a local restaurant and go on to tour the cemetery, focusing on the graves of eminent writers and visiting the catacombs, where elaborate coffins in the ‘Queen Mary’ mode are to be seen.
- A contribution to the expenses of the day will be levied, but we shall pay for our meals individually.
- Please inform the Chairman if you wish to receive the details of the day, which will be sent only to those who have expressed an interest. Expressing an interest will not commit you to attendance, but it will ensure that you receive the necessary information. You may write to the Chairman at: 42 Scarborough Road, London E11 4AL or telephone him on 020-8556 5243 (you can leave a message if there is no answer). The deadline for this is 30 August. The day’s programme should be in place by then and precise information will be sent out soon after.
- Audios and videos
- The complete CAMPION series, with Peter Davidson as Albert, is now available on DVD
from Acorn Media UK (www.acornmediauk.com). It runs for 857 minutes and occupies
four discs. There’s a handsome picture of Albert with the red Lagonda on the
cover of the box. The official retail price is £29.99 but you may get a discount
via the Net.
- Hachette Audio have begun to issue readings by Philip Franks of Margery Allingham’s novels, in abridged form. TRAITOR’S PURSE and THE BECKONING LADY are available and CORONER’S PIDGIN is forthcoming. The readings run for 4 hours and the retail price of each is £13.99. The sleeve designs are the same as those for the Vintage paperback editions of the books. Hachette Audio is a Little Brown company, accessible via www.littlebrown.co.uk. The postal address is: 100 Victoria Embankment, London EC4Y ODY.
- The Margery Allingham Society is proud to present the following range of merchandise. All items are white with the text ‘The Margery Allingham Society’ and the Albert Campion logo in campion pink unless otherwise stated.
- We have enamel badges as above with a silver border and a brooch fitting, 1x1.41 inches, price £3.50 + £1.00 p&p. These will be available at the Kensal Green Cemetery event on 4th October, or from the Membership Secretary, Lesley Simpson, 23 Corfton Lodge, Corfton Road, London W5 2HU, email: email@example.com, mobile: 07837 853221.
- The following items are also available from www.cafepress.com/allingham or, if you do not
have internet access, via the Membership Secretary. It is a US firm, so the prices
are in US dollars; divide by 2 to get the approximate cost, subject to the exchange rate.
Shipping ranges from $4.00 for a magnet to $12 for two of the heavier items.
- Tile Coaster
- Tote Bag
- Messenger Bag
- Fridge Magnets
- Car Stickers
- Note Cards
- Greeting Cards
- ceramic tile with felt feet
- cotton canvas; natural background with pink logo
- yellow background with black logo
- pack of 10
- pack of 20
- pack of 10
- pack of 20
- ringbound notebook; 5"x8"; 160 pages
- pack of 8
- Next year’s programme
- The committee will discuss next year’s programme and make some decisions about it in September. Next year’s birthday lunch will be on Saturday 23 May and our guest will be Janet Laurence, author of the Darina Lyle mysteries, which have a gourmet cooking ambience, and of a series in which the Italian painter Canaletto is the detective. She is also an accredited Margery Allingham fan.
- By the Way
- Please consider writing something for this intended new series in The Bottle Street Gazette, which will be launched by Pamela Bruxner in the next issue. It won’t happen unless we make it happen.
Greetings from all at the Glueworks.
From The Glue Works: Previous Issues
Current Issue No.34 - November 2013 No.33 - September 2013 No.32 - July 2013 No.31 - November 2012 No.30 - June 2012 No.29 - November 2011 No.28 - August 2011 No.27 - June 2011 No.26 - February 2011 No.25 - October 2010 No.24 - February 2010 No.23 - November 2009 No.22 - August 2009 No.21 - June 2009 No.20 - April 2009 No.19 - Autumn 2008 No.18 - August 2008 No.17 - January 2008 No.16 - November 2007 No.15 - July 2007 No.14 - January 2007 No.13 - Summer 2006 No.12 - February 2006 No.11 - July 2005 No.10 - March 2005 No.9 - Nov/Dec 2004 No.8 - July 2004 No.7 - February 2004 No.6 - August 2003
Website maintained by Lesley Simpson
All text and photos copyright © The Margery Allingham Society unless otherwise stated.