From The Glue Works
The newsletter of the Margery Allingham Society
No.7 - February 2004
- Dear Members,
- Welcome to The Glueworks and a happy new year to you all. This will be an eventful year for the Society as we celebrate Margery Allingham's centenary on May 20th and the centenary of her husband Philip Youngman Carter on September 26th. This newsletter is largely devoted to the events of the year. Other items will be held over to our next issue.
- Subscriptions for 2004
- Many of you have already paid your subscriptions for 2004 and we thank you for your prompt response especially as the special events and activities which the Society has planned to mark the centenary will inevitably place a strain on the Society's funds. Nevertheless these are sufficiently healthy to bear these extra costs and the Committee has decided to hold the annual subscription at its current rate of £14 per annum. However, it has become obvious that a serious discrepancy has developed in our overseas (dollar) subscription. The Committee has therefore decided to recalculate the dollar rate for subscriptions and a full explanation of this will be sent to overseas members with this newsletter. To summarise - subscriptions for UK members: £14.00 ; for overseas members either £14.00 or US$35 or (for 3 years) US$90.
- We welcome the following new members to the Society - Mr Philip Allingham of Hunton, Kent and Mrs Audrey Jones and Mr David Jones of Colchester. This brings our membership up to 98. It would be good to celebrate the centenary by raising this figure over the century mark. Introduce your friends to the Society this year.
- We are delighted to hear that Andrew Taylor has been awarded the CWA 2003 Ellis Peters Historical Dagger Award for The American Boy. It is the second time that Andrew has won the award and he is the only writer to have done so since its inception.
- Recent Events
- 18 members joined the visit to Tate Britain on October 25th. Lunch in the restaurant, suitably surrounded by the splendid Rex Whistler murals, was followed by a tour of the 19th and 20th century galleries. John Sweetman's erudite and enjoyable commentary on the art of the Death of a Ghost period made the occasion memorable.
- Forthcoming Events
- 1 May 2004 Publication of Margery Allingham: 100 years of a great mystery writer
- a celebratory collection of essays in appreciation of the writer. It includes contributions from many distinguished writers and members of the society - Catherine Aird, Robert Barnard, Richard Cheffins, Catherine Cooke. Natasha Cooper, Martin Edwards, Nicholas Fuller, Roger Johnson, Julia Jones (Thorogood), H.R.F.Keating, Margaret Kinsman, Stephen Leadbeatter, Oriel Malet, Jessica Mann, Tony Medawar. Sara Paretsky, Geraldine Perriam, Susan Peters, B.A.Pike, Shirley Purves, B.J.Rahn, Susan Rowland, Jennifer Schofield, Michelle Spring, John Sweetman, Frank Swinnerton, Andrew Taylor, June Thomson, Marianne van Hoeven and Margaret Yorke. It will be published by Lucas Books of Thorndon. Suffolk and will be available through normal commercial outlets (ISBN No.1903797-35).
- Copies will also be available at Society events throughout the year.
- 5 May 2004 Private view and opening of the Margery Allingham centenary exhibition at the Barbican Library. Silk Street, London, EC2. (until May 29)
- A major exhibition of the life and work of Margery Allingham and her husband, the writer and artist Philip Youngman Carter with material from the Margery Allingham archive now shown for the first time. (details later)
- 20 May 2004 CENTENARY DAY
- 3 p.m. Unveiling of a commemorative plaque on the former London home of Margery Allingham, - Hurlingham House, 1 Westbourne Terrace Rd. Paddington by Sara Paretsky. (details later)
- 6 p.m. Reception following the plaque unveiling and Book launch of Margery Allingham: 100 years of a great mystery writer at the University Women's Club, London.
- 22 May 2004 at the University Women's Club, London, W.1
- 11:15 a.m. Society Annual General Meeting. (Agenda below)
- 1 p.m. CENTENARY BIRTHDAY LUNCH WITH GUEST SPEAKER SARA PARETSKY
- 27 May 2004 1 p.m. Lunchtime Lecture
- at the National Portrait Gallery on Margery Allingham to be given by Dr Susan Rowland. The Gallery will show a special centenary display of photographs of Margery Allingham, Youngman Carter and their circle throughout May.
- 9 June 2004 The Margery Allingham exhibition
- opens at the Manor House Museum, Bury St. Edmunds where it remains until August 22
- 10 - 11 July 2004 Crimescene
- at the National Film Theatre. There will be a Margery Allingham London Walk led by Professor B.J.Rahn on Friday 10th (evening) and an Allingham Forum on Saturday 11th with a panel (Andrew Taylor, Michelle Spring, Robert Barnard, Natasha Cooper) chaired by Margaret Kinsman.
- 14 July 2004 (evening) Bodies in the Bookshop
- crime event at Heffer's Bookshop in Cambridge will feature Margery Allingham: 100 years of a great crimewriter
- 4 September 2004 The Margery Allingham exhibition
- opens at Chelmsford Museum where it will remain until 31 October.
- 17 -20 September Centenary Weekend Convention
- at Writtle College, Chelmsford. Speakers to include Dr Ronald Blythe, crime writers June Thomson and Kate Charles, Julia Jones (Thorogood), Dr Susan Peters and Barry Pike. The weekend has been opened to member societies of the Alliance of Literary Societies. There will be outings and excursions and a performance of two of Margery Allingham's radio plays.
- 6 November 2004 Dr Susan Rowland
- will be talking about Margery Allingham at the Mayfair Public Library, South Audley Street. An Albert Campion tea with little pink cakes.
- 7th December 2004 Leslie Forbes
- society member, crime writer, food writer and broadcaster presents an evening of Margery Allingham and Food in association with the University Women's Club.
- PLEASE RETURN YOUR BOOKING FORM for these events AS SOON AS POSSIBLE
- ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING 2004
- Saturday 14th May: The University Women's Club, 2 Audley Square, South Audley Street, London WI, at 11:15 a.m.
- Coffee will be available from 10:30
- In the Chair: Barry Pike
- Secretary's Report
- Treasurer's Report
- Membership Secretary's Report
- Election of Committee
- Chairman's remarks and plans for 2004/5
Greetings from all at the Glueworks.
From The Glue Works: Previous Issues
Current Issue No.34 - November 2013 No.33 - September 2013 No.32 - July 2013 No.31 - November 2012 No.30 - June 2012 No.29 - November 2011 No.28 - August 2011 No.27 - June 2011 No.26 - February 2011 No.25 - October 2010 No.24 - February 2010 No.23 - November 2009 No.22 - August 2009 No.21 - June 2009 No.20 - April 2009 No.19 - Autumn 2008 No.18 - August 2008 No.17 - January 2008 No.16 - November 2007 No.15 - July 2007 No.14 - January 2007 No.13 - Summer 2006 No.12 - February 2006 No.11 - July 2005 No.10 - March 2005 No.9 - Nov/Dec 2004 No.8 - July 2004 No.7 - February 2004 No.6 - August 2003
Website maintained by Lesley Simpson
All text and photos copyright © The Margery Allingham Society unless otherwise stated.